Delgosha Grand Mosque
The Restoration & Development of Delgosha Grand Mosque
The historic section of Delgosha Grand Mosque was built in 1738 A.D, however it has been restored and reconstructed several times, changed and developed to respond to the needs of its users. Eventually, it was registered as a national heritage in 1959 A.D and substantial restoration demanded to secure the structure.
The preservation and revitalization process has been done in three stages by this firm:
– Separating & clearing unnecessary extensions
– Restoring& strengthening the old Prayer Hall
– Constructing the new building
The main objective was to regenerate its social role as a historical design to connect the past and the future worshippers of the past 250 years. Another objective was regarding vernacular architecture and climatic necessities of the region in order for the design to be compatible with the climate.
The dominant high-rise minaret works as a land-mark in the urban context, also it is an urban-scale sign which can be seen across the sea. The integrity of the project and its context allowed us to design a specific women’s entrance through the sidewalks, for the ladies’ prayer hall that didn’t exist in the historic mosque.
|Name of the Project||The Restoration & Development of Delgosha Grand Mosque|
|Project Area||3900 sqm|
|Client||Sunni Bandar Abbas Charity & Social Services|
|Lead Architects||Shahabeddin Arfaei|
|Benefactor||Late Haj Zeinal Abolghasem Evazi|
|Team||Mohammadreza Boroumand – Masoud Mansouri - Parisa Soltani – Samira Kazempour|
|Location||Ayatollah Taleghani blvd., Bandar Abbas, Hormozgan Province, Iran|
|Site Area||4800 sqm|
|Consulting Designers & Engineers||Bamcitadel of Kerman Consulting Engineers|
|Involved Architect||Shahriar Yaghini|
- Facts and Figures
Name of the Project The Restoration & Development of Delgosha Grand Mosque Appointment 2004 Project Area 3900 sqm Client Sunni Bandar Abbas Charity & Social Services Lead Architects Shahabeddin Arfaei Benefactor Late Haj Zeinal Abolghasem Evazi Team Mohammadreza Boroumand – Masoud Mansouri - Parisa Soltani – Samira Kazempour Location Ayatollah Taleghani blvd., Bandar Abbas, Hormozgan Province, Iran Completion 2008 Site Area 4800 sqm Consulting Designers & Engineers Bamcitadel of Kerman Consulting Engineers Involved Architect Shahriar Yaghini Capacity 430 worshipers
- Press Releases